Saturday 19 December 2015

Adulthood: Universities and Scholarships

I was too lazy to go back to my previous adulthood post, but there were some stuff in there that I forgot to mention.

The reason why I was looking at the scholarship in the first place, was partly to do with me looking at overseas universities. Initially, I was interested in Durham and UBC after some of their people came to introduce the universities to us. It all sounded very fun and exciting, and a sort-of Plan B. When my mum knew, she was upset about it, saying that none of my siblings have done their undergraduate studies overseas, and money. And honestly, I don't know why money is a problem, considering how things are going. Even if I were to pursue the issue and these things weren't a problem, I still have to stay for my braces.

Also, if I am serious about journalism, wouldn't it be smart for me to apply for a journalism scholarship anyway? Even if there were a bond to serve regardless of where I went, I would have a job for at least a couple of years. However, when I went to the scholarship talk session, I didn't realise that the admission process involved an internship. It makes sense: you'd want to at least see if the people you're investing money in, can actually do a decent job as a journalist, even if they cover small stories. Frankly, that portion of the admission process deterred and frightened me, because uh, hello, socially awkward person here. I mean I guess I'm not as bad as the term implies, but it's definitely not the first thing I'd jump at. (Wow, all the more reason for me not to become a journalist, huh...)

That aside, I realised that I didn't really need it - at least, not right now. After the little meeting with my dad's professor-friend at the laboratory, my dad said that if I'm staying here, I don't really need a scholarship. I mean I still could go if I want the internship experience, and that's not a bad thing (apart from maybe, cutting short my time at the labs since the journalism internship is around March). I even forgot that the scholarship isn't limited to undergraduates, until my dad reminded me. when I got home, I realised a possible course of action.

If I didn't take the scholarship opportunity now, I could even do it while in university, or after as a graduate. That would give me more time to seriously consider journalism, and if I still want to go overseas to pursue a degree in scientific journalism, then all the more reason to have a journalism scholarship fund that. Even better, I'd have a job right after for a longer period of time ouo

I know it's not a big deal, but I thought that it was still good for me to write down the thoughts I've had and keep them together in one place.

No comments:

Post a Comment